Call Today: 07739 815 265

Keeping Your Dog Safe During Autumn

Autumn is the perfect time for long walks on crisp, sunny afternoons. But there are hazards around that make this a time for extra vigilance in keeping your dog safe and healthy.

Beautiful yorkshire terrier playing with a ball on a grass

Watch Out for Toxic Plants

Conkers are highly toxic if chewed and can cause internal blockages if swallowed whole, so keep your dog or puppy well clear of them. The same goes for spring bulbs of daffodils and tulips. 99% of mushrooms are perfectly edible, but the remaining 1% can cause life threatening problems for your dog. Steer clear of sites where mushrooms grow and keep your dog on the leash if you’re uncertain.

The Nights Are Drawing In

If you have to exercise your dog and puppy at night near a busy road, make sure you can both be seen by road users. As an owner you’ll need light coloured and reflective clothing, and you can buy reflective collars, harnesses and leads so you both remain visible.


Ticks, Fleas, and Pests

Although the weather is turning colder, ticks and fleas can still be around, so keep up a regular treatment regime to keep your dog itch-free. Rats and mice start seeking indoor shelter in the winter and it’s tempting to use poison to deal with the problem. Don’t, unless you can ensure your dog has no access to the area. Instead use humane traps that are canine – and mouse – friendly.

Big Bangs

November means Bonfire Night, and firework displays for much of the first half of the month. Fortunately, there are several things you can do to make your dog feel more secure and get over their fear. First, keep them securely inside when a display is happening and make sure you walk them during the day, not the evening. Never punish your pet for showing fear and comfort them if necessary.

Siberian Husky. The Siberian Husky rests on the grass

Consulting a vet regularly is always an ideal way of making sure your pet is safe and healthy. Here at CK9 Training we take your dog’s well-being very seriously, which is why we only use the kindest training methods. You can contact us today to speak to a member of our team to find out more about our services.