07739 815 265 07739 815 265

Dangers for Your Dog This Christmas

Christmas is such a wonderful time of the year! Tables are usually filled with delicious food and desserts, and decorations litter the home. Did you know that many things you associate with the festive season can actually harm your pets? Make sure to keep an eye out for them – dogs are known to eat just about anything they see, and they rely on you to know what’s best for them.

 

Christmas Plants

You probably like to embellish your home with seasonal, Christmas plants to create a lovely environment. Make sure you keep them away from your pets’ reach! Plants like poinsettia are toxic and can cause blisters and gastrointestinal issues. Holly, berries, and mistletoe need to be watched out for as well; they can be fatal, cause vomiting, and heart collapse.

 

Toys and Decorations

Small toys or decorations are choking hazards and can result in an emergency trip to the vet on Christmas. Ensure that children are aware not to leave their toys’ batteries in place where your dog can see them and ingest them, as they are extremely toxic and can cause both metal poisoning and chemical burns.

 

Food Hazards

Raw cookie dough can cause stomach issues, as it expands when your dog ingests it and ferments in the stomach. Chocolate can cause heart arrhythmias, seizures, vomiting, and other more fatal symptoms, so be sure to keep anything with chocolate in a place where only humans can reach.

Youngers children may be unaware that giving your dog bones, particularly poultry bones, can be fatal. These bones can splinter and lacerate the digestive system, and also cause them to choke. Spices such as nutmeg can cause seizures and death, and nuts like macadamia nuts, are very likely to cause vomiting, seizures, and loss of muscle control. Onions, blue cheese, puddings, mince pies, and fruit cakes are also dangerous if ingested.

And don’t forget that alcohol is poisonous, so keep it away from your dog!

 

Danger of Electrocution

A Christmas tree with twinkling lights looks stunning in any home, but if you own a dog you need to take a few extra precautions. As dogs can sometimes chew just any object they see, they might chew the wires of your Christmas lights and electrocute themselves. Keep the wires safely hidden under a rug or any other object that completely covers them.

If you’re unsure whether your festive decorations or food are safe for your best friend, the best practice is to leave it out of reach! It’s better to be safe than sorry, and Christmas is all about happy memories – you want to make sure your dog is safe and healthy.

Contact us on 07739 815 265 to speak to our friendly team; we’re always happy to help! You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter to see our news and updates.